Monday, June 13, 2011

New Friends and New Experiences

Alright, here is a (semi) quick run down of my day:

I was up early (well early for my first day of summer break!) at 7 to get ready to help out at a garden on campus.  Breakfast was oatmeal with a banana and a spoonful of peanut butter, my go to breakfast!  Then off to the gardens!  I am volunteering though our Student Dietetics Association (SDA) to help keep up the gardens for the summer.  Along with the director and four other girls from SDA, we weeded and harvested some of the vegetables, which we get to take home in exchange for our work!  Though it was sprinkling when we first started, it turned into a perfect morning to garden, not to hot, not too cold.  I knew one gal from our vegetarian and vegan group, and another was a TA of mine this last term, but the other two were new acquaintances and will hopefully blossom in to some new dietetics friends!  We chatted about organic gardening, soil and I learned some new interesting things!  Did you know that rocks are not stable in their crystallized form we see them in?  And that they dissolve in water!? Crazy!

When I got home, I had this crazy idea to start a blog!  But I had lunch first with what I could gather up in the fridge, a veggie wrap and some delicious cantaloupe!  I worked on the blog for a few hours and felt very accomplished when I posted my first post!

Then I shopped around on Amazon and bought a few books, which will be coming up I'm sure in later posts :~) 
The books I ordered are:

To help me on my way to running better and longer:
Runner's World Run Less, Run Faster: Become a Faster, Stronger Runner with the Revolutionary FIRST Training Program
Bill Pierce

After borrowing this from the library and reading it cover to cover, I wanted to try this out! (Which I plan to blog about!)
Crazy Sexy Diet: Eat Your Veggies, Ignite Your Spark, and Live Like You Mean It!
Kris Carr

And to help me on my way to being an awesome cyclist:
Base Building for Cyclists: A New Foundation for Endurance and Performance
Thomas Chapple
And 
The Cyclist's Training Bible
Joe Friel

All of which I am excited to get, read and share!

After sitting for a while it was time to get up and do something!  I headed outside for a short, get-back-into-running-after-my-break run.  I did a triathlon two weeks ago and haven't done much exercise since to give my body a break.  So I headed out for a short easy 2.5 mile jog.  It felt good, but I was a little tired when I got back.  I followed that up with some core work and some push-ups to help get me strong!  After showering I made some recovery pudding following re recipe in Brandon Brazier Thrive Diet that I copied down awhile ago.

After taking a short cat nap, I made dinner with some of the produce I got from the garden today, mustard greens and purple kale.  I steamed them with some cauliflower added rice and garbanzo beans and some homemade "Cafe Yumm" type sauce (man I love that sutff!)  I was pretty good for just throwing it together!

My day started with a new volunteer experience and it was only fitting that it end with one!  I headed down to the public library to read to nutrition related books to children for the bedtime story time.  We read a few books, did a quick activity, read some more and had a smoothie for a snack.  Tonight was about calcium and the books I read were about milkshakes and milkshake cows.  Again I met some new people in dietetics and hope that they may blossom into friendships!

Phew!  For someone who doesn't blog or keep journals, that was a lot!  But I am enjoying this so far and think I will keep it up!  I am excited for the new opportunities and experiences to come this summer and to document it all here!  I need to start adding pictures!

Good night and good health!

No comments:

Post a Comment